We next visit the farm, where the real production takes place. They are growing some unusual items. Several herbs, like Shiso or Perilla (Perilla frutescens) are available in green or red varieties. They have a very unique flavor, almost nutty with a touch of citrus and a very aromatic flavor. Jerry uses them to make a green apple shiso ice. And you can use it as a salad green when it's young and actually use the seeds as well. Use the tips in salads and the seeds when they start to form, they make a very piquant flavor to add to marinated salads and Japanese food. They also have some unusual basils and they do something different with the basil once the leaves are gone. Let it come up to its' blooming stage so it develops a nice long stem. Leave the basil in the ground until it freezes. At that point the basil wood is harvested. Cut it off and hang it in the greenhouse, the plant dries, the leaves are all gone, then the woody stem is used for smoking seafood, mussels, black cod. It is a very nice way to infuse that great basil flavor and adds an earthy, woody component to the food. It's a nice way to use basil after the season is done. After you've made your pesto, strip all the leaves off then come back and harvest after frost.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades