Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to correctly prune a fruit tree.
1. In winter, look for branches that rub against each other.
2. Cut rubbing branches with bypass pruners or pruning saw.
3. Remove thick, vertical branches with pruning saw.
4. Open up center of tree by trimming away smaller branches using bypass pruners.
5. Trim very top of the tree using long-handled loppers.
6. Remove about one-third of branches; prune again each of the next two years.
7. Loosely wrap hardware cloth around trunk to create a protective shield.
8. Use shovel to remove all grass from around tree trunk.
9. Spread 2 to 3 inches of bark mulch under tree.
10. Wrap soaker hose around base of tree and water for about 2 hours during spring and summer.
It’s Black Friday week on WonderHowTo! Don’t miss out on all of the big sales in the Gadget Hacks and Null Byte shops. And if you’ve been wanting to take some classes without going into debt, check out our best deals on online courses for a variety of skill sets. Don’t miss out on these huge discounts: