Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to correctly prune a fruit tree.
1. In winter, look for branches that rub against each other.
2. Cut rubbing branches with bypass pruners or pruning saw.
3. Remove thick, vertical branches with pruning saw.
4. Open up center of tree by trimming away smaller branches using bypass pruners.
5. Trim very top of the tree using long-handled loppers.
6. Remove about one-third of branches; prune again each of the next two years.
7. Loosely wrap hardware cloth around trunk to create a protective shield.
8. Use shovel to remove all grass from around tree trunk.
9. Spread 2 to 3 inches of bark mulch under tree.
10. Wrap soaker hose around base of tree and water for about 2 hours during spring and summer.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.