In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains how to prune and train rose bushes.
1. Inspect rose bush to find old, dead or weak branches.
2. Use pruning saw to cut through selected branches at the base of plant.
3. Deadhead plant with bypass pruners, removing all faded flowers.
4. Dig 3-feet-deep holes for fence posts on either side of rose bush; set posts in holes.
5. Join the three horizontal rails to the posts using a small sledge to tap together the parts.
6. Backfill around fence posts with soil.
7. Use jute twine to tie the rose canes (branches) to the fence rails.
8. Remove weeds from around the rose bush using a cultivator.
9. Add fertilizer to soil around plant, then rake it in with the cultivator.
10. Spread a 2-inch layer of cypress bark mulch around base of plant.
11. Add 1 to 2 inches of water per week to the rose bush.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades