Watch this video from This Old House to learn how to mulch plant beds.
1 Rake dead leaves and old mulch from between shrubs and plants to expose the soil.
2 Pick up old mulch and leaves with a mulch fork and dump into wheelbarrow; discard debris in compost pile.
3 Cut back the grass along the front of the planting bed with a half-round edger.
4 Remove the grass cut from the edge with a square-edge shovel; discard debris in compost pile.
5 Dump new mulch into planting bed, and spread with garden rake to 1 inch deep.
6 Push mulch under shrubs with rake, but keep it away from branches and trunks.
7 Use rake to compact the mulch along the edge of the bed.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades